Monday, May 27, 2013

Growing // A Reflection on the Past Year



Sometimes when I try to write things, I'm not even sure where to begin. There are so many snippets of memories and stories in my head that I cherish, and in times like this, I wish I had written them down. Maybe there's a reason for that though. Maybe I'll think of those memories in a different time when I need them more than I need them now. I think I am the kind of person who strives to enjoy moments as they are happening and truly appreciate them in the present. In light of this past semester (and year, even) I believe I did just that, and often. I believe I was woven with heartstrings for appreciation of wonderful moments, more so than most people. Maybe that's just they way I am, or the way I was made. I truly value each day that I'm alive, and each moment I get to spend with the people I love. It's a heavy happiness that weighs on my heart in the best way possible.

School can be tedious. Work can be boring. But people are not. People are not boring. They're made up of intricate stories, feelings and thoughts that can be shared, hidden, displayed, or expressed to other people. That fact that I get to do life with these people--these awesome, influential, inspiring people that I call my friends--makes me extremely grateful. No matter the level of friendship, each person I have encountered this past year has made me a better person, or has given me a new perspective on life.

And from that, I have grown in so many ways. I look back at old pictures from last spring semester and think, "Remember when we did that? That was so long ago!" when in reality, it was just this time last year. But so many things can change in a year. And they have! I'm not sure how to recap it in any other way, so here, it begins.

The Lord worked wonders in my life this past year, as he always does. Did I think this time last year that I would have a job as a part of the University Activities Council, booking bands, putting on film discussions and student showcases? Not necesarily. I remember one of my dear friends who had this job when I was a freshman, and I thought I could never do what he does. Well here I am, in the job, having the time of my life and influencing campus as best as I can along the way. I've learned more than I could ever imagine this semester, and connected with so many people through this amazing opportunity.

And the weddings. My goodness, the weddings. Who knew I'd be attending 4 weddings this summer (and be bridesmaid in one of those) of my closest friends? It's so crazy how fast things move in college. In life too, but really, in college. I couldn't be happier for one of my best friends, who I will have the privilege of supporting on her big day, as she gets married this June. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I love seeing people in love, and weddings are giant parties of love. And those are my favorite kind of parties.

I've learned so many different things and had wonderful experiences--how many times can you say one of your friends wrote a play, and then got to come back and have it put on for everyone to see? A beautifully written play, mind you. And how many times do you get to see Local Natives, front row, in Nashville, singing along every word with your best friends? Only once, and it goes by the name of Spring Break. Positively the best show I've ever been to, words can't describe that weekend and how much fun it was. And I can't even begin to say how many times we spent at iHop, McDonalds, or just driving around town listening to good music. I have those McDonalds games memorized and I'm not even ashamed. Well…only a little bit. Anyways, towards the end of the year, the all nighters are really the greatest thing ever. So many stories of adventure, stargazing, conversations with friends, long drives, and sunrises go down in my history book as the most memorable moments I won't ever forget.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, I've learned a thing or two about forgiveness, relationships, friendships, and people in general. I'm extremely thankful for good people in my life who are still so great to me despite decisions I have made that affect them. I wouldn't be the person I am today without their genuine friendship extended to me. The ups and downs of this semester have brought me closer to the Lord in numerous ways, I couldn't begin to list them if I tried. In light of all of the good times, I am extremely thankful for the hard times. Because without them, the good times would have absolutely no meaning. And those good times are something that I live for.

I'm still very unsure on what the Lord has planned for my life, and I question that daily. Who am I going to date? What job will I have? Where will I live? But the one thing I will take away for every experience that has happened this past year, is that God is in control. He knows what's best for me and His plan is ultimately the perfect plan for my life. All of the things that have happened and that will happen, work together for my good. And I fully trust Him with my everything.

As always, thanks for reading, and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment